Register yourself with the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The U.S. Embassy cannot help you during a disaster if they do not know where you are.

You can register free of charge online before you leave the country with Travel.State.Gov. This is an easy process and will let the U.S. Department of State know where you are in case of national emergency