Emergencies Abroad

Our primary concern will always be your safety while abroad. While this information is designed to guide students to make wise decisions and avoid dangerous situations, Mississippi State University cannot guarantee your safety abroad. In order to protect yourself and have the most accurate information available to you, please print out the emergency information form and fill this form out before going abroad.

To fill out the form, you will need to find the following information:

On-site faculty information—this includes at least one 24 hours/7 days a week contact phone number for the faculty member or on-site supervisor who is with you during your study abroad program. If you have not received this information from the faculty member in charge of this program, please contact this person and write down the information on the emergency form.

In-Country emergency numbers/information--Know the Emergency “911” number for the area in which you will be studying abroad. Look up the emergency numbers for Fire, Police, and Ambulance services in your country.

This pdf provides some of the emergency information you need to know.

Also, write down the US consulate information that you may need. You can find that list here.

MSU Emergency Information—For emergencies, contact the MSU police at 662.325.2121. The MSU police have someone at the phone 24 hours day/7 days a week. The police have the contact information of several people on campus and will be able to get in touch with the right person. Have a call back number ready.

While studying abroad is a fun experience, dangers do occur. Please keep in mind the following basic steps to follow in case of an emergency:

  1. First, always contact the appropriate emergency officials in the host country (police, fire, ambulance, etc.). Sometimes this is not necessary if you are not in immediate danger, but always have this information ready.
  2. Second, contact your in-country faculty/staff member or site supervisor. The on-site program staff is the best resource in case of an emergency. Whether you are ill, have been harmed, or were a victim of theft, the on-site staff has the resources and know-how to handle this situation far better than anyone stateside. The on-site staff will work to help you immediately and will contact the Office of Study Abroad and/or your parents if there is need for further service.
  3. Finally, if appropriate, contact MSU at the numbers provided. Sometimes this step is not necessary or the faculty member will do this step for you, but know that we are there to assist you.

Also, please do not forget to contact your family. They will want to know that you are safe and will want to help you as well.

Below are some specific tips for dealing with issues abroad:

If you are the victim of a crime, contact the on-site faculty/staff and the local police to report the incident and receive immediate assistance. Get a copy of the police report and contact the nearest U.S. embassy, consulate, or consular agency for assistance. To contact the Office of Overseas Citizens Services from overseas, call 202.501.4444.

In the event of a natural disaster or terrorist attack, the on-site faculty/staff and the nearest U.S. embassy, consulate, or consular agency will assist you. Make sure you have registered yourself on the U.S. Department of State’s website. Even if an emergency or natural disaster occurs 1,500 kilometers from your city and you are perfectly fine, notify your parents and the MSU Office of Study Abroad to confirm your safety.

If you are arrested abroad, call the on-site faculty/staff and the U.S. consul. They cannot get you out of jail, but they can explain local laws, help you get an attorney, and contact your family in the U.S.

The U.S. Department of State has an excellent website with resources to help American students traveling abroad.

For all other (non-emergency) inquiries, contact the MSU Office of Study Abroad:

Mississippi State University
Office of Study Abroad
P.O. Box 9742
Mississippi State, MS