Graduate F-1 of J-1
- 9 hours each fall and spring term.
Undergraduate F-1 of J-1
- 12 hours during each fall and spring term
Exceptions to the above are limited and require that permission be given by the International Services office. Examples include:
- Medical reasons must be documented and recommended by a doctor and approved by the International Service office.
- Summer sessions - do not require full time enrollment unless your documentation reflects a summer start date.
- During the last semester of study - only need to take what is required in order to graduate.
- Must get travel signature from International Services on your particular document.
- For J’s the travel signature must come from the office that issued the DS-2019.
- Check passport validity.
- Check visa validity. If your U.S. visa will expire prior to your planned re-entry, you must be prepared to renew the visa during this trip. Visas cannot be renewed within the U.S.
The toll-free telephone number for International I-901 SEVIS fee customers is (212)620-3418.
International students and Exchange visitors may call the toll-free number for all questions regarding the I-901 SEVIS fee that cannot be answered after viewing the information available at http://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/index.htm.
Please note that the toll free number is for international callers only and is available during the following business hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.